Summer is here, and there is no better time for a backyard barbecue. Men and women alike love to tap into their inner caveperson and cook their meals on a big fire outside. In order to do that, though, they have to have the best grill on the market, so that their food is not just flame-cooked, but flame-cooked to perfection. We mentioned the Char-Broil Performance 475 4-Burner Cart Liquid Propane Gas Grill in our Father’s Day gift guide, but now we want to go more in-depth on its assets and limitations, to help you decide if it is the right grill for you or the caveperson in your life.
We will start by taking a look at the features of the Char-Broil Performance 475 4-Burner Cart Liquid Propane Gas Grill, then we will see what our fellow grill masters have to say about it in customer reviews posted online.
You’re probably getting hungry already, so let’s get started!
Product Description and Features
The Char-Broil Performance 475 4-Burner Cart Liquid Propane Gas Grill is a four-burner gas grill with the option of one additional burner on the side. This means that you can cook five different things at once, much like you would on an indoor gas stovetop. It is a 36,000-BTU, cart-style grill with the optional side burner coming in at 10,000 BTU.
The grill is crafted from stainless steel with a porcelain-coated, cast iron cooking surface. It gives you a total of 475 square inches of cooking surface to work with and features metal shelves on the side where you can place your condiments and toppings (or the hot dogs and burgers that are still on deck).
In addition to all that, it has an electric ignition with a push-button starter for easy lighting, a removable grease tray, and external temperature gauges so that the user can keep an eye on the heat levels.
Pros and Cons of Char-Broil Performance 475 4-Burner Cart Liquid Propane Gas Grill
Before you get out your credit card to buy this beautiful behemoth of a grill, here is a look at some of the pros and cons of owning a Char-Broil Performance 475 4-Burner Cart Liquid Propane Gas Grill reported by users who have tested it out.
- It’s enormous – With 475 square inches of cooking space, you can sure cook a whole lot of meat!
- It’s convenient – With four burners (five if you count in the extra side burner), you can cook several things at the same time, so no more waiting for your burgers to be done before you toss the brats on.
- Easy to assemble – Some assembly is required with this grill, but most users agree that set-up is quick, easy, and painless.
- Evenly distributes heat – One of the biggest pitfalls of grilling is that the fire tends to cook things unevenly. This grill cooks things evenly and uniformly, so you never have to worry about half-cooked meat or burned vegetables.
- Sturdy, but easy to move – This grill functions as a cart, with wheels that make it easy to maneuver to the best spots on your deck or in your backyard. Once it is there, though, users have reported that it feels very sturdy and solid, unlike some grills that feel flimsy and worrisomely weak.
- Cast-iron cooking surface – The cast-iron cooking surface is one of reviewers’ favorite features. It is tough enough to handle even the biggest hunks of meat, while also being easy to clean and protect from rust.
- Push-button electronic ignition – Some gas grills can be unreliable and hard to light (some can even be dangerous if you have to light them yourself!). This grill can be started up with just a push of a button, ensuring a perfect light every time. Reviewers love the convenience factor.
- It’s enormous – Sure, this grill has a huge cooking surface, but it also weighs nearly 100 pounds. Some users find it clunky and hard to move, and delivery is a hassle, resulting in a high number of Amazon customers receiving grills that are battered, broken, and unusable (which they then have to return for another hassle).
- Assembly required – While most users say that the grill is easy to put together, other grillers are inconvenienced by the extra steps necessary to get the grill ready for action. Some say it takes hours to put together, and that it would have been preferable to get one that was already pre-assembled at a store like Lowe’s or Home Depot for a higher price.
- Missing pieces – Several customers ordered the grill from Amazon and received boxes that were missing parts.
- Not as sturdy as it appears – While the large majority of users say that the grill is tough and can hold up under pressure, others have reported that the handles fall off and that many of the pieces of the grill arrived dented, bent, or broken when delivered, or otherwise break during assembly or use.
- Heating problems – Several Amazon reviewers have complained that this grill does not distribute heat as evenly as others have claimed, and many reviewers report that they cannot get the grill to go over 250 degrees Fahrenheit. In spite of the large number of reviews that include this issue, the manufacturer assures customers that this is not the norm, and may be a result of a faulty regulator.
- More heating problems – While some can’t get their grill to heat up enough, others have the opposite problem. Some report that the front of the grill gets very hot and dangerous for the person standing close to it, while another reports that the excessive heat melted the knobs off the front of their grill after just a few uses.
- Price – This grill runs around $250. Most users agree that this is a good price for a grill this size, but many say it is “cheap” and not worth the expense.
Looking at the pros and cons of the Char-Broil Performance 475 4-Burner Cart Liquid Propane Gas Grill, it is difficult to make a decision about whether this grill is worth the money or not. It is listed as one of Amazon’s bestselling grills and has hundreds of great reviews from people who love the product. However, the complaints contained in the negative reviews are very concerning (and, in many cases, very convincing). Heating problems are no joke, as gas grills can be very dangerous if they are not functioning correctly.
To be fair, though, whenever a problem was reported in the reviews section of Amazon and other websites, the manufacturer posted an in-depth reply and offered to help the customer rectify the situation. Every purchase (especially when made on the internet) comes with a bit of a risk, but if you are willing to take that risk, you may end up with a great grill for your barbecues this summer.
What do you think about the Char-Broil Performance 475 4-Burner Cart Liquid Propane Gas Grill? Will you be bringing it home for your backyard barbecue? Let us know in the comments!